Sunday, September 2, 2012

Golden Oreo Ice Cream (Nut free & Egg Free)

Whenever me and my hubs go to the store to buy ice cream we debate about which flavor to buy to share.  I'm always voting for something dark and choc-o-late-y and my hubs is petitioning for something like strawberry (because apparently it makes better milkshakes).  90% of the time we compromise and get Cookies & Cream ice cream.  (it makes good milkshakes and it has chocolate in it.  Win-win.  And if you are just dying to know, the other 10% of the time we end up getting 2 cartons of ice cream so we can each get what we want).

Since discovering Golden Oreos (even better Double Stuffed Golden Oreos) from my pops a few years ago, we've become fans.  I've made these delicious Golden Oreo Cupcakes, so what should naturally come next?  Ice cream!  I've always used this simple vanilla ice cream recipe for my homemade ice creams and then just recently found out about and checked out a book from the library called Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home.  I loved how she goes into the science behind ice cream making and gives a base recipe for creating and experimenting.  The thing I love is the ice cream is thick and chewy, not grainy or icy, and it doesn't use eggs!!!  It's just like what you'd buy at the store (but better, of course).

So now I'll stop and get on with the recipe!  It does take a little more time but OH it is WELL worth it!



Golden Oreo Ice Cream
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream

2 cups homogenized whole milk, divided
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/8 tsp fine salt
2/3 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tbsp vanilla
8-12 Double Stuffed Golden Oreo Cookies

In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp milk and cornstarch.  In a large bowl, whisk cream cheese and salt until smooth.  In a 4-qt sauce pan combine the remaining milk, cream, sugar and corn syrup.  Whisk continually while heating over medium high heat.  Bring to a rolling boil and boil 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and slowly whisk in cornstarch slurry (first be sure to give the slurry a little stir as it will have settled).  Return to heat and boil and stir for 1 more minute.  Remove from heat.  Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into cream cheese mixture until smooth and combined.  Cover and chill in the fridge for several hours or until completely chilled.  When ready to churn, stir in vanilla.  Place cookies in a food processor and process until desired consistency (I kind of like a few big chunks of cookies left). Pour ice cream into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions about 20 minutes until sides of ice cream bowl are nearly clean.  During the last few minutes of churning, add crushed cookies.  When ice cream is finished, pack into freezer safe container, press parchment paper or cling wrap on top of ice cream. Cover with lid and transfer to freezer.  Freeze several hours or until firm.  When ready to serve, remove from freezer and let thaw about 10 minutes on the counter.  Scoop into individual serving bowls and top with sprinkles if desired!  (I actually liked the sprinkles on mine!) Yield: about 1 quart of ice cream

*I tend to like a little ice cream with my cookies n cream, but you decide how much crushed cookie you want.  I added almost 1/3 pkg of cookies and it was too much, so play around with it and add as many or as little crushed cookie as you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment