Friday, September 14, 2012

Egg Free Buttermilk Pancakes

I thought it might be time for an update to this post.  It's been 4 years since I first posted this recipe, and it is still one of our family's favorite egg free pancake recipes!  Pancakes were the first foods I tackled to convert egg free.  It is a breakfast staple in our home now. 

Since this is the top post on my blog, I thought it might be helpful to add some step by step photos.  You'll have to bear with me and my unprofessional photos... but hopefully it will give you a better idea of how to make these so they will turn out well for you.  I also tweaked the recipe slightly.  Maybe it's an altitude/humidity thing, but sometimes the batter is just really thick, so I went ahead and just added 1/4 cup of water to the batter recipe.  I also added a couple of tablespoons more of sugar.  Usually just 2 tablespoons is enough, seeing how my kids drown their pancakes in maple syrup anyway.  But feel free to adjust those things as needed.


OK.  Here we go!  First you need to gather your ingredients and mixing bowls.  Measure your flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into one bowl.  Be sure to measure your flour correctly by scooping it with a spoon into a cup and leveling.

In another bowl, combine the buttermilk (REAL stuff here-- a substitute will result in a thinner, flatter pancake.  Remember to shake the buttermilk first!) oil, applesauce and water.

 
Using a wire whisk, whisk the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately until combined.



 Now pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.




 You'll see from the pictures that the batter is slightly lumpy and thick.  If you need to add additional water to thin it out more, feel free to do so keeping in mind that the thinner the batter, the thinner the pancake.  Careful not to overmix!

I like to have my griddle preheating while I mix the batter, but if you haven't done so yet, preheat your griddle over medium heat.  Once it's preheated, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out the batter for each pancake and drop it on the hot griddle.  My griddle is nonstick so I usually don't need cooking spray, but if yours is not or is prone to have food stick to it, be sure to spray with cooking spray before cooking the pancakes.

Now this is wear the pictures get bad... I had to move away from my natural lighting and into the tungsten-lit kitchen.  But you will notice the pancake batter itself is kind of fluffy.


I don't go by a timer when flipping my pancakes, I look for little bubbles to begin to appear and dry edges.  I also check the underside to see if they are browned to my liking.  It will take a few minutes. Then CAREFULLY flip each pancake to cook the other side.



And VIOLA!  Delicious, golden, egg free buttermilk pancakes!  I don't know why this is, but my second round of pancakes always seem to look better than the first ones.  Weird.  Serve with butter and maple syrup!



Egg Free Buttermilk Pancakes 
From Egg Free Bakery 
 
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups real buttermilk (using a milk+vinegar substitute will result in a thinner, flatter pancake)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1/4 cup water

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Set aside. In another bowl or liquid measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, applesauce, oil and water.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.  If the batter is too thick, add a few more tablespoons of water to thin it out to your desired consistency.  Do not over mix the batter.  It should be fairly thick.  Heat a griddle to medium heat and spray with cooking spray if needed.  Drop 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto heated skillet.   Cook on first side until bubbles begin to form on surface and and edges are slightly dry.  Flip over and cook another few minutes until golden brown. Remove to a plate or platter.  Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup. Yields about 12-15 pancakes. 


28 comments:

  1. These were actually really good. My only complaint is that they do taste a little like a box kit and I was going more for an ihop taste but thats probably my fault not the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I guess we all try to get as close as we can to the "real thing" when we bake without eggs. It's tricky, but this is the closest I've come as far as pancakes go. Glad you liked them!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. These pancakes were awesome and simply amazing - so fluffy and tasty!! I substituted all purpose flour with multigrain and it was mouth watering :). Thank you !! Your blog has now become my go-to place for variety. We're vegetarian and I look forward to substituting meat with veggies in many recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were really good with kefir instead of buttermilk! Thanks for the recipie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an allergy to eggs. Just didn't actually have any on hand and wanted some pancakes so I went looking for an alternative recipe. This was awesome! Didn't even miss the eggs actually. Very fluffy and tasty. Thanks! Hanging on to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think these would work with buttermilk powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used buttermilk powder before so I don't know.

      Delete
  6. Mine just fell apart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Shoot. I've never had that happen before.

      Delete
  7. These are fantastic! I didn't have any eggs on hand and didn't want to go to the store. This might just be my new pancake recipe in general though! Love it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so amazing!my grandson has severe egg allergies and poor kid is always left to eat a bagel or toast! So he was so thrilled. And better still, we added a cup of frozen blueberries. Moreover, this is a great " group project " to engage three year olds. Definitely a keepsake. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are delicious! The best egg-free pancake recipe hands down, and I've tried many. My 15 year old is allergic to eggs & tree nuts. He's a foodie and gave these two thumbs up. I'm so thankful for your blog & recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure what I did wrong, and I'm pretty sure I followed the recipe exactly, but this made a thick, gooey batter that did not resemble the thin runny pancakes I have made before. They tasted like flour and weren't sweet at all. Is the batter supposed to be like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The batter is suppposed to be thicker- it's not supposed to be runny. If it's too thick though, try thinning it out with water to the consistency you prefer. As to the sweetness, you can always add more sugar. I don't add a lot of sugar because my kids drown their pancakes in syrup 😬 I hope they work out for you if you decide to try them again.

      Delete
  11. Great recipe. I made a few substitutions....used multigrain flour, water instead of applesauce, butter instead of oil and added a pinch of vanilla. The pancakes turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brittany - Came across this post as I was looking for an egg-free pancake recipe. My 4 year old was diagnosed with food allergies at 4-5 months old so I've been searching out pancake recipes and after about 5 other ones which either tasted like baking soda or didn't rise right or didn't cook right, I search no more! Thank you so much for taking the time to post and blog your recipes! This recipe is fantastic and will be my go to recipe from now on! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My pancakes look really good but they are not cooked from the inside, what do I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your griddle is too hot? Try cooking them over a lower heat and see if that solves the problem. Good luck!

      Delete
  14. I think these are the best I've found so far! I forgot to halve the recipe, though...can I freeze the batter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure about the batter itself, but you can definitely cook them all up and freeze the leftover pancakes.

      Delete