Friday, September 28, 2012

Bread Bowls

I've said it before, things taste better in an edible bowl. :)  Like many other things, I have a couple different recipes for bread bowls.  This one is from Jamie Cooks it Up!  She has several bread recipes on her blog and they are all quick and can easily be made start to finish in less than an hour.  The secret is using instant yeast and your oven for risings.  I seriously started making my soup and remembered "Oh ya!  I wanted to do bread bowls" and while my soup simmered, I worked on my bread bowls and they were ready by the time my soup was.  Love that!  They also puff up quite nice, unlike others I've tried where the dough spreads some.  This is a great recipe to have in your arsenal for soup season.


Bread Bowls
From Jamie Cooks it Up! & Taste of Home, adapted Egg Free by Egg Free Bakery

2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup  milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp instant yeast
 
In a stand mixer, place 2 cups of flour, sugar and salt.  Stir to combine.  Pour milk and water into a liquid glass measuring cups.  Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, or until bubbly and hot.  ("Bubbly" can't help but think of "Pretties" on that one.  High five if you know what I'm talking about).  Carefully put butter into the hot liquid and let melt just a bit.  Then pour the milk mixture into your mixer with the flour and let mix on low for about 30 seconds.  Add the yeast and remaining 2 cups of flour.  Mix the dough for 5 minutes.  Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set the dough out onto it.  Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Preheat oven to 170 degrees.  After the dough has rested, shape each piece into a ball.  Then place pan in warmed oven and let rise until double in size, about 15-25 minutes.  Keep the pan in the oven and turn the oven up to 350 degrees.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, including the time it takes for you oven to heat up. Remove from oven, let the bowls cool for about 10 minutes.  With a serrated knife, slice the top of each bowl off, scoop out the middle and pour some soup in!  Yields 6 bread bowls.  Pictured above with Potato Soup, one of my favorite soups to serve in bread bowls. (I'll share a recipe one day once I've refined it.) :)





No comments:

Post a Comment