Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Egg Free Banana Mug Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

My mouth waters as I look at this picture while I type this post and as my taste buds remember this mug cake.  Mmm.  It took me awhile to get around trying out this recipe. I mean I wanted to try it, but I guess I figured it would be just banana cake.  When paired with this cream cheese frosting though, oh my goodness! I wasn't expecting that taste sensation! Very tasty.

 

Banana Mug Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Cooking Classy

5 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch salt
1/2 overripe banana, mashed very well (scant 1/4 cup)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp applesauce
1 tbsp buttermilk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 recipe simple cream cheese frosting, recipe follows or regular cream cheese frosting if you happen to have any lying around (in which case I did and is what is picture above.  Both frostings taste great)
Banana slices, optional

Prepare simple cream cheese frosting according to directions listed, set aside.  In a large mug, mash the banana.  Add vegetable oil, applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla and blend well.  Whisk in flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until everything is incorporated. Cook mixture in the microwave on HIGH power for 2 1/2 - 3 minutes until done being careful not to overcook.  (This mug cake does cook a little longer than other mug cakes.  I was worried about overcooking and pulled mine out too soon and it was soggy but about 2-1/2 minutes and mine was just right). Top cake with banana slices if using and dollop with Simple Cream Cheese Frosting, sprinkle with cinnamon for garnish if desired.  Enjoy warm (once mug cakes cool they aren't quite as good). Yield 1 large mug cake

Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
1-1/2 Tbsp Cream Cheese, softened in the microwave several seconds
4 Tbsp powdered sugar

In a small mixing bowl, using a fork,  whisk together softened cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment