Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Egg Free Baked Blueberry & Peach Oatmeal

I have tried dozens of baked oatmeal recipes.  Dozens.  Literally.  I had never even heard of baked oatmeal before until a couple of years ago.  I tried it and, honestly, was not that impressed.  Not wanting to give up on the idea though I searched and collected several more recipes.  Since I'd never had baked oatmeal before, I guess I don't really know what it is supposed to taste like.  Some recipes I've tried have been like regular oatmeal- only baked in the oven, some have been like oatmeal-cookie-sweet, some soggy and on and on.  This recipe, as of right now anyway, is one of my favorites!  Baked until golden brown on top and served with a splash of milk- it tasted more akin to granola!  I especially loved the combination of blueberry and peaches.  Great for this time of year- late summer.  Also I love the colors of the blue and the orange. :)  little things make me happy. (cue phone call from dad telling me to get help ha ha) I could eat this everyday!


Baked Blueberry & Peach Oatmeal
From Egg Free Bakery, adapted from Taste of Home

3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp applesauce
1-1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 can (15 ounces) sliced peaches in juice, drained and chopped (I'm sure fresh would work too)
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Additional milk, optional

In a large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla; Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in peaches and blueberries.Transfer to a pie pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Serve with additional milk if desired.  Yield: 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment