Friday, July 13, 2012

Egg Free Chocolate Mug Cake

Since the cinnamon roll mug cake is so popular, I thought I'd post a chocolate mug cake recipe.  (Because, seriously, with me it's either chocolate or cinnamon roll.  Those are my flavors).  I love how fluffy the cinnamon roll mug cake is so I used that recipe to create this one.  It's great for a quick chocolate fix.  I just dusted mine with powdered sugar, but this would really be good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Chocolate Mug Cake
From Egg Free Bakery, based off recipe From Cooking Classy
View Printable Recipe Here

 2 Tbsp applesauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp buttermilk or milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
3 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2-1/2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp (scant) salt
Powdered sugar for dusting or vanilla ice cream

In a microwave safe mug, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt and mix well. Add applesauce, vegetable oil, buttermilk/milk, vanilla and chocolate chips.  Mix until combined but try not to overmix.  Microwave on high 50-90 seconds.  Check the cake after 50 seconds, if not done microwave in 10 second intervals.  Don't cook it too long.  Let cool for 1-2 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and serve immediately.  It is best eaten warm.  You could really go all out and drizzle some chocolate syrup or on top of your ice cream too! Yield 1 serving.

*Variation: Drizzle with caramel sauce when done for a Chocolate-Caramel Cake

*Variation: Replace applesauce with mashed bananas for a chocolate banana mug cake.  I have not tried this yet, but I'm sure it would be tasty.

Shared on Real Food, Allergy Free: Allergy Free Wednesday

   
Seriously!  Can you believe it has no eggs?  Look how fluffy and cake-y!  :)   I stopped eating this halfway through to take a picture because I couldn't get over how fluffy it is!

2 comments:

  1. I just make this recipe for my 9 year old son who is allergic to eggs, wheat, dairy and soy. I substituted GF flour and allergy free chocolate chips. This recipe is AMAZING! I can't wait to have him try it. I'll have to make another for him because my husband and I ate the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it turned out! It's good to know that GF flour can be substituted too. I am in love with mug cakes right, and every time I make this chocolate one I can't get over how cake-y it is. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete