Monday, July 23, 2012

BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza

I first discovered and experienced grilled pizza last summer and oh.my.gosh we had it several times and I can already tell you I will make it several times each summer for the rest of my life.  Pizza brings on a whole new flavor when it is grilled.  I've had fun playing around with different toppings and here is what I came up with the other night:


Never grilled pizza before?  Our best bites has a great tutorial on grilling pizza.  Get all your tools and ingredients ready before you start because once you are at the grill, things go fast.

I used my no-rise pizza dough for this recipe, but any pizza dough recipe will work.  I've learned, the hard way, that it is easier to grill a few small pizzas at a time rather than trying to do one large pizza.  You can make about 8 small pizzas with the no rise pizza dough recipe.  The proportions listed for the toppings are just approximate.  Use as much or as little as you'd like, just be careful not to overload your pizzas with toppings.  It is better if you have a lighter hand with the toppings.

BBQ Chicken Grilled Pizza
From Egg Free Bakery

1 recipe no rise pizza dough (or other pizza dough recipe)
1-2 chicken breast, cooked and diced
1-2 tbsp chopped onion
Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese
1-2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
OR green onion (If using green onion in place of cilantro, omit onion previously listed in ingredients)
BBQ Sauce (Homemade for mustard free!)
Olive Oil

Prepare pizza dough.  While it is resting, assemble ingredients on a large platter or cookie sheet along with utensils to take to the grill. ( Stir in some bbq sauce with the chicken, chop onion and cilantro, grate cheese etc.  Preheat grill to medium heat.  While grill is heating, roll out pizza dough.  I just used my hands to shape into about 8 discs.  They were about as big as a small serving plate.  I stacked the dough on the plate with each pizza between cling wrap til ready to use.

When grill is ready, brush some olive oil onto one side of each pizza dough disc and put oiled side down on grill.  Work quickly so as to maintain the heat of the grill.  Close lid and let grill for a couple minutes.  Keep an eye on it- you don't want to burn the bottom (like I frequently do)  Keep in mind the hot spots on your grill too.  With ours, the back is hotter than the front.  When the bottom is done and has nice grill marks, brush the top side with oil and flip.  Again working quickly, brush bbq sauce on each of the pizzas and top lightly with desired ingredients.  If using cilantro, do not add at this point.  Close lid and cook until cheese is melted.  Remove from grill, sprinkle with cilantro if using, and serve!



No comments:

Post a Comment