Thursday, June 21, 2012

Egg Free Buttermilk Waffles

Egg Free Waffles were kind of a tricky one for me at first.  I tried lots and lots of different waffle recipe.  One problem that I kept running into was the waffle batter would stick to my pan!!!  (Oh so frustrating.-- even after spraying my griddle with oodles of cooking spray)  The other problem was the flavor was kind of... lacking?  I found a waffle recipe that I had been wanting to try that I converted to be egg free and was delighted by the outcome.  I've messed around with that recipe quite a bit and finally came up with this!


Egg Free Buttermilk Waffles
From: Egg Free Bakery

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 tbsp  apple cider vinegar
water, if needed (you probably won't need any additional water if you use a milk/vinegar substitute.  I've only found this really necessary when I use real buttermilk)

In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients and set aside.  In another bowl, combine applesauce, oil, and buttermilk.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine.  Don't overmix.  The batter will be thick, but it needs to be that way so it doesn't stick in your waffle iron. (If you feel like it is too thick, thin is out just a little with water.  I've had to do that a couple of times). Lightly coat waffle iron with cooking spray.  Follow instructions for you waffle iron and bake until crisp and golden, spraying griddle with cooking spray in between batches.  Top with desired toppings such as butter and maple syrup or fresh fruit. Yields: 12-15 waffles squares




 

No comments:

Post a Comment