Friday, June 22, 2012

No Rise Pizza Dough


It's the weekend!!  My mind always goes into party mode on Fridays.  I want to watch movies (remember TGIF on TV?  Good times.)  I get the midnight munchies, and I stay up later than I should thinking, oh I can sleep in (who am I kidding? My adorable alarm clocks get me up bright and early even if it is the weekend).  My sister has a tradition of having pizza on Friday nights, which I think is so fun.  Too bad my kids don't like pizza right now so it would not be fun for them.  Bummer.

Anyway, I happen to love pizza.  However, pizza dough is another one of those foods that I have tried several recipes for in search of something quick and easy and delicious.  It was always disappointing to spend my time making homemade pizza only to get a bland tasting soggy pizza crust. (Been there?) Cooks Illustrated has a great pizza dough-- but you pretty much have to start it the day before.  Another problem I have is I don't have any fancy pizza equipment. I really like this pizza dough because it requires no rising time or special equipment!  If at 4:30 I decide I want to have pizza, I can throw a few ingredients together and have perfect pizza dough in a matter of minutes! Not sure where I first got this recipe.  It's been in my recipe book for years.  It's my favorite though! This dough is also great to use for hot pockets, stromboli or anything requiring "pizza dough".

  
No-Rise Basic Pizza Dough
From Egg Free Bakery
View Printable Recipe Here
 
2-3/4 to 3-1/4 cup flour
1 pkg. yeast (or scant tbsp SAF yeast)
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp oil

Combine 1-1/4 cup flour, yeast and salt.  Add warm water and oil.  Beat until well combined.  Stir in remaining flour.  Knead about 6 to 8 minutes by hand or 2-3 minutes in electric mixer.  Cover and let rest 10 minutes.  Divide the dough in half.  Grease 2 12” pizza pans and sprinkle with cornmeal if desired. Roll dough into 13” circle. Transfer dough to pan and build up edges. Using a fork, poke several holes into pizza dough crust.  Brush additional oil over the top of the crust and sprinkle with garlic salt.   Top with desired toppings and bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes.   For crunchier crust, prebake crust 5-8 minutes, remove and add toppings and bake again for another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 pizzas (8 pieces per pizza) 

Tips: 
  • Prebaking the crust helps to keep it from getting soggy and ensures it is cooked all the way through.
  • Don't overload your pizza with toppings, otherwise it will likely be soggy.
  • Letting it cool for a few minutes will keep the toppings in place better (and you won't burn your mouth, because once it's on the plate, who can wait for it to cool down!?)
  • If you happen to have a pizza stone, I HIGHLY recommend cooking it on that. Baking pizza on a pizza stone makes all the difference!
*Pictured above the pizza is topped with cooked sausage, mozzarella cheese and spinach-- which was sprinkled on after the pizza was done baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment