Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs in Tomato Sauce

This recipe actually is a combination of recipes and ideas.  I got the idea for the mozzarella stuffed meatballs from Picky Palate but adapted it for our family's needs and ingredients that I have on hand.  This time I took it a step further and used Italian sausage instead of mixing my own seasonings for the meat.  (Just so you know, sausage usually has mustard in it :(  bummer for me.  I know my boy didn't have any of these when I made them, but unless he outgrows his allergy, I won't be using sausage anymore.  I thought I'd leave this post up anyway though.  Here is a link to my Italian Meatballs from scratch) Alot of times for homemade meatballs eggs are used as the binding ingredient.  Here I used quick cooking oats but you can also use bread crumbs.  I've even heard of people using cooked rice or some tomato paste as their binder.  

The sauce comes from a recipe by Our Best Bites.  I love having the surprise cheese inside the meatball.  Mmm.  So delicious.  This is great with a tossed salad served on the side.  If you have leftover meatballs (might I suggest make more so that you have leftover meatballs) use them in Meatball Sub Sandwiches the next night or for lunch!



Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
From Egg Free Bakery and Our Best Bites

Meatballs:
1 lb Italian Pork or Turkey Sausage
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1-2 tsp olive oil
2 cheese sticks, cut each stick into 8 pieces each

Sauce:
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/4 c. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 6-oz. can tomato paste
6 oz. water (just use the tomato paste can to measure the water)
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Spaghetti or Linguine Noodles
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray.  Gently mix (I just use my hands) sausage, oats, and oil together in a bowl. Don't overmix.  Grab a small handful of meat and a cheese piece.  Form a ball around the cheese stick, rolling to smooth.  Place in prepared baking dish.  Repeat until balls are all formed.  Bake 27-35 minutes until meat is done.  Makes 15-16 meatballs.  While meatballs are baking, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook spaghetti or linguine noodles according to package directions.  In another saucepan, heat about 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic for 1-2 minutes or until it’s fragrant. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and simmer until the meatballs are done. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings if needed.  If it tastes too acidic, add a little sugar.  Serve meatballs and sauce on bed of noodles and top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.



2 comments:

  1. Zucchini is a good binder as well. I didn't realize you guys had food allergies. We have so many at our house it isn't even funny. Well, intolerances really-soy, gluten, dairy, chicken, turkey and starchy food. But luckily, egg is not one of them. Cooking is sure tricky around here. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of using zucchini before. What a good idea. I will have to try that some time.

      Delete