Sunday, June 3, 2012

Lemon Chicken

Bone-in skin on packs of chicken thighs and legs were on sale this week: buy one get one free!!  What a great deal and I happened to have a recipe I had been wanting to try that called for bone-in skin-on chicken thighs.  Survey says?  It's a keeper!  I think sometimes with food allergies I put to much focus on the things that we can't eat and it's nice to come along a recipe that naturally conforms with our family's needs.  With my son having a mustard allergy, not only can he not have condiments and many sauces, but salad dressing and marinades will often having mustard in their "spices" too.  But this is all from scratch and it is delicious!  Amazingly I followed this recipe almost exactly!  (I have a tendency to make little changes as I go.  I did not have fresh herbs so I just used my dried herbs.  Can't wait to try it with fresh herbs though... when I finally start growing my own herb garden..) This is excellent served with Garlic Rice Pilaf.


Lemon Chicken
From Annie's Eats ,slightly adapted by Egg Free Bakery
View Printable Recipe Here

2 tbsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried rosemary 

1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2-4 lbs.  bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs or drumsticks
2-3 tbsp butter, melted

Thinly sliced lemons, for garnished

Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag.  Gently squish everything around to combine.  Add the chicken pieces to the bag.  Seal and turn the bag over a couple of times to coat chicken pieces with the marinade.  Place in the fridge for 2 hours.  When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, and transfer to a baking dish, skin-side up, reserving the leftover marinade. (I know, right, something you don't usually do.  Just pop it back in the fridge for later).  Brush the top of each piece of chicken with melted butter.  Bake for 50-55 minutes, until the skins are crispy and browned.  Halfway through baking, pour the remaining marinade over the chicken pieces in the baking dish. When chicken is done, remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.


**Sharing this recipe on Real Food, Allergy Free- Allergy Free Wednesday.
UPDATE: This recipe was spotlighted on Real Food, Allergy Free!

No comments:

Post a Comment