Saturday, June 16, 2012

Hot Pockets

I got this recipe from a friend a few years ago.  When I first tried them I didn't really care for the dough because I thought it was oddly sweet and a little bland.  It must have grown on me though because I find myself making these again and again.  Sometimes I sprinkle seasonings on the tops of these to add a punch of flavor, but these are the BEST when you dip them in dipping sauce.  Soft and fluffy and stuffed with whatever your heart desires!  I must warn you though these take some advance planning/preparation because the dough has 2 risings -worth it-. I have frozen these before for my hubs to grab and take for lunch. You could even make these smaller and serve as an appetizer too if you want.



Hot Pockets
From Egg Free Bakery, recipe adapted from my friend JoLynn
 
1 Tbsp SAF yeast (or active dry yeast, but I like SAF)
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup warm water
2 T canola or vegetable oil
3 1/4 cup flour
1-2 Tbsp butter, melted
Desired Filling ingredients
Desired Sauces

In a warm bowl, mix yeast, sugar, and water. Let stand 10 minutes, then add oil and flour. Blend and knead a few minutes and form into a ball. Let rise one hour. Punch down and roll out into about a 12 x 12 square. (I've never really measured) Use a pizza cutter and divide into a rectangles- 3 down, 4 across.  Top each rectangle in the center with desired fillings.  Take each rectangle and gently pull edges. Bring the 2 long sides together and then roll up from the bottom.  Pinch seams (make sure they are sealed well!) and place on greased cookie sheet seamside down. Brush with melted butter and let rise until doubled, about 30-45 minutes. (You can even stick them in a warm oven --lowest setting possible--to hurry the process along.) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Brush with additional melted butter if desired after baking.  Let cool a few minutes and serve with desired dipping sauce. Yields: 12 rolls. Serve with a green salad.

Ok.  Let's talk about our Hot Pocket Possibilities now shall we?  
  •  Pizza: (by FAR the best and my favorite)- fill with chopped up pepperoni slices and grated cheese (cheddar or mozzerella) After rolling up, melt butter and combine with garlic bread seasoning or Parmesan cheese and brush on top of rolls, if desired.  Serve with warm Pizza Sauce
  • Ham & Cheese: a classic right?  Serve with warm Pizza Sauce
  • Turkey & Cheddar: Serve with Ranch Dip
  • Cheeseburger: Fill with cooked hamburger and cheese.  Serve with desired dipping sauce. (Haven't tried this one, but it's an idea)
  • Bacon & Cheddar Serve with Ranch or other dipping sauce (Haven't tried this one either, another one to try one day)
  • Philly Cheesesteak: Roast Beef, swiss cheese and chopped green bell peppers. 
** If you don't have time to make this dough, you can also use my no-rise pizza dough recipe to make hot pockets as well.




6 comments:

  1. Those look really yummy for the kids. I might have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too funny - I was just thinking I need to make some of these to freeze for quick lunches. Now I have some more good filling ideas! By the way - I'm super impressed by your blog! Super cute with yummy looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I have made these mexican-style with mexican flavored hamburger and bean mixture and cheese (we use mozzarella), and the dipping sauce is salsa mixed with sour cream - definitely one of my favorite dinners. (Now I'm going to have to make that this weekend)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! That does sound yummy. I'd never thought to do a mexican-style hot pocket before!

      Delete
  4. I made these for dinner tonight; just used ham and cheese for my picky eaters. So Yummy! Love your blog! I have a daughter with egg allergies, so I'm planning to try many more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Megan, glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete