Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal

I love cinnamon rolls and I love oatmeal so this is a double love here.  I seriously eat this at least once a week!  I've already posted a slightly tweaked version of this recipe, Apple Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal, but the almost unaltered version deserves the spotlight.  I found this at Cooking Classy.  The only change I made in the recipe was for the cream cheese frosting.  Originally it called for 1 tbsp cream cheese and 1 tbsp powdered sugar and I ended up halving the cream cheese and upping the powdered sugar to give it more of an icing taste.  The cream cheese was just a little too overpowering for me.

Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
From Egg Free Bakery, slightly adapted from Cooking Classy

1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp light-brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp molasses
Pinch salt


Icing:
1/2 Tbsp Neufchatel cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp milk

In a large microwave safe bowl, combine oats, milk, water, brown sugar, cinnamon, molasses, and salt.  Cook oatmeal mixture in the microwave for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave  Stir and then let stand for a few minutes.. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, using a fork, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk until well blended. Drizzle or pipe icing over oatmeal (if you'd like to make the swirl as I did in the photos just make an light spiral indentation in oatmeal , when it has cooled slightly, pipe icing into indentation).  Sprinkle lightly with additional cinnamon and a handful of raisins if desired.  Serve warm. Yields 1 serving

No comments:

Post a Comment