Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake (Egg Free)

I have recently discovered and fallen in love with mug cakes!  I love how quick and easy they come together.  They are perfect for those sudden late night sweet cravings or when I need a quick dessert to bribe my kids to eat their dinner. I've tried several mug cake recipes and I love how this one is actually cake-like, and it's egg free too! It's not greasy and oily like some of the others I've tried.

*UPDATE: 7/20/12:  I felt like this recipe deserved a better picture than the one I originally posted.  I was just craving cinnamon roll so much today!  I had cinnamon roll oatmeal for breakfast and this for dessert at lunch.  Yum!  To make the spiral in the cake, after it cooled a minute or two, I used a toothpick to make an spiral indentation in the top of the cake- next I used a clean medical plastic syringe (what you would use to give your little babies medicine) to insert the frosting into the indentation I created.  Make sense?  It gives it a prettier look and more 'cinnamon roll' appearance.  And Just so you know my craving was very much satisfied. :)


Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake

2 Tbsp applesauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp buttermilk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbsp packed light-brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp (scant) salt 

Cream Cheese Icing
1 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp milk

In a large microwave safe mug, using a fork, whisk together applesauce, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.  Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt and stir to combine.  Microwave on high for 1 minute.  Check cake from doneness.  If it's not fully cooked, continue cooking in 10 second intervals, checking in between, until cake is done.  (The cake will be set and the side will look like they are just pulling away from the mug).  Set aside and let cool.  Meanwhile, prepare cream cheese icing.  Using a fork, stir together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and milk.  Top cake with cream cheese icing and dig in!  Yield- 1 mug cake

Sharing this recipe on Real Food, Allergy Free- Allergy Free Wednesday. 


2 comments:

  1. After I looked at your blog last night, specifically this recipe, I ended up dreaming all night about making this mug cake. So........this morning I printed out the recipe and will be trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious and moist looking cake! Thank you so much for sharing your fantastic recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete