Monday, June 4, 2012

Egg Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are a staple!  They are a must have! I knew I needed to figure out how to make egg free cookies, but that one had me stumped for awhile, until of course, I found a recipe for these cookies on Art of Dessert blog.  Surprising to me, this recipe has been popular recently.  I have seen it on several different blogs. I have noticed little tweaks in ingredients and baking techniques on different sites that have featured this recipe.  The variation I like the most comes from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  The secret to these cookies?  Cream cheese!  It is the only substitution I will use in cookies now.  You will be surprised and others will be too that these are egg free.  I think the cream cheese helps make the cookies nice and soft (unless you like your cookies crunchy...)  And in case you are wondering since we have peanut/nut allergies as well, I use Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips.  They are pricier, but I like to be safe and these are free of the top 8 allergens.

(update 7/27/13- our store doesn't carry Enjoy Life anymore :(  So I've been using Hershey's brand of chocolate chips and we haven't had any problems with those)


Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
12 tablespoons butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips

In a microwave safe dish, melt butter.  Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, (I use my stand mixer) cream together cream cheese, melted and slightly cooled butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla.  Add dry ingredients until just combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Roll dough into 1 to 1-1/2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet (or line with parchment/silpat liners).  Slightly flatten each cookie with the palm of your hand.  Bake 12-14 minutes until just barely golden brown.  Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Makes 2-3 dozen cookies



*Note: Shaping the dough really is important if you want your cookies to look as great as they taste.  In the directions it says to roll the dough and then slightly flatten.  Just using your cookie scoop (though excellent for measuring) and flattening does not give the same results.

Pictured above on the left is a cookie that was rolled and slightly flattened.  On the right is a cookie that was just scooped with a cookie scoop and slightly flattened.  (The cookie on the left does have mini chocolate chips -- I kind of like that look too but anyway, just wanted to show you the difference.)

**Sharing this recipe on Real Food, Allergy Free- Allergy Free Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. I am wanting to make an egg free cookie cake. I have made these cookies before and they are delicious. Do you think the recipe would work if I spread it out on a pan and baked it instead of doing individual cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It will work. How funny I am doing the same thing for my daughters birthday this week as she doesn't like cake. This link has instructions for a skillet baked cookie if you want to check it out: dough is egg free. http://www.melskitchencafe.com/soft-baked-skillet-chocolate-chip-cookie-egg-free/

      Delete