Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Egg Free Soft Sugar Cookies (with a surprising ingredient!)

Re-posting an old favorite! 
Sugar cookies.  This is one of the first recipes I tried to make egg free.  Growing up my mom would make these cookies around Christmas time.  We had a long held tradition of baking and frosting these sugar cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve (along with eating at least TWO sugar cookies before bed!). I wanted to carry on this tradition -the making cookies part- with my own kids so I made tackling this recipe a priority.  

The original recipe only called for one egg which made substituting really easy.  I tried applesauce one time, 3 oz of cream cheese another time and even just left it out all together without any substitution and they turn out great every time.  Applesauce, though, is my go-to for replacing eggs because I always have it on hand.

This recipe is great because you only need is one bowl and no refrigeration required before baking. That means: no forethought, and cookies now!  The secret ingredient that makes these so tasty and soft?

SOUR CREAM!

Friends who have asked me for this recipe think I've made a mistake when I tell them to add sour cream.  

"Don't you mean cream cheese?"

Nope!  Sour cream.  In cookies.

These are soft like the famed cookie-who-shall-not-be-named from the grocery store.  My personal favorite time to eat these is the day after I've made them and the cookie and the frosting have a chance to set up together.  Delicious!  We have made a tradition of making these cookies at Christmas time, and Halloween, and Valentines, and Easter.... you get the idea.  Enjoy!


Egg Free Soft Sugar Cookies
Recipe from Egg Free Bakery 

½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp applesauce
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
½ cup sour cream
3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups sifted flour, divided
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar.  Add applesauce, vanilla and sour cream and mix until well combined.  Add baking soda, salt and gradually add flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, starting with the smaller portion and adding more if needed.  Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter or work surface.  Knead dough around a few times, adding flour as needed to make a smooth ball.  It shouldn't be sticky or crumbly.  Roll out dough with a rolling pin to desired thickness, around 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into shapes with floured cookie cutters.  Transfer to lightly greased baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  Frost and decorate as desired.

Buttercream Frosting

8 Tbsp salted butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-3 tbsp milk or cream
Food Coloring, optional

Beat butter in a mixing bowl, 1-2 minutes.  Add sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time on low speed. Add vanilla and a few tablespoons of milk and continue beating. Increase speed to medium high until frosting smooth and fluffy.  Mix in food coloring, if using.



12 comments:

  1. I've never tried freezing the dough. I read once that cookie dough that contains sour cream and/or cream cheese shouldn't be frozen (though I still don't know why!). However, I have frozen these sugar cookies once they are baked (unfrosted) and they store beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these cookies tonight and they turned out great! Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, there is no need to refrigerate the dough before rolling out and cutting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never refrigerate the dough, but I also always use margarine. If you use real butter or if the dough is hard to handle then I would refrigerate it.

      Delete
  4. Are the cookies supposed to have a doughy/chewy feel to them? By that I mean they kind of gum up a little when I eat them... I don't know if I baked them to short of a time or if that's how they should be. It was my first batch of making them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are supposed to be soft but not doughy. Try baking them a little longer if you decide to give it another go.

      Delete
  5. Do you think that plain Greek yogurt would work in place of the sour cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it, but I think it would work.

      Delete
  6. Do you know if soy milk would work instead of sour cream/milk? My daughter is allergic to dairy. I would also be using soy butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any experience baking dairy free. Is there a dairy free substitute for sour cream? I'm thinking they might not be as soft. Here is another egg free recipe that does not have sour cream that you could try converting dairy free: http://eggfreebakery.blogspot.com/2015/11/egg-free-sugar-cookies-with-egg-free.html?m=1
      Good luck!

      Delete