Friday, April 10, 2015

Egg Free Banana Bread

So if you haven't noticed, I've done a bit of "house cleaning" here on the blog.  I've been deleting old posts that no one ever looks at anymore, including myself. And with Pinterest around nowadays, it seemed silly to re-post the awesome recipes I've found that were perfect just the way they are.  Instead I've got the links to those recipes pinned on my Pinterest account.  (though I'm sure I'll highlight the occasional recipe that knocks my socks off)

But speaking of Pinterest.  

Confession time:  I have two Pinterest accounts.  Some of you may have already figured that out.  I created one just for Egg Free Bakery to have mostly egg free recipes from the blog and other places that I've found.  But for kicks and giggles if you are ever interested in seeing what I'm into on a more personal level you can follow me on Pinterest here.  I mostly pin recipes I want to try, fashion ideas and stuff to do my kids!

Today I'm bringing you an oldie but a goodie.  One of the first recipes I ever posted on my blog, but with a few tweaks I bring you the refined Egg Free Bakery version of Banana Bread:

 "There are a million banana bread recipes out there and I have tried a million different banana bread recipes.  The one I keep coming back to is my mom's recipe...maybe for nostalgic reasons, I don't know.  But it really is my favorite banana bread recipe.  SO.  I had to convert it to be egg free.  It turned out great!  Just like the original egg version."



Egg Free Banana Bread
Recipe from: Egg Free Bakery

¾ cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas(5-6 bananas)
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
6 cups flour
2-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a stand mixer, cream shortening and sugar together until fluffy. Add mashed bananas and buttermilk.   Mix until well combined.  Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix just until combined.  Divide mixture into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.  Bake for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10-15 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Let bread cool completely before slicing.  Store cooled bread in bread loaf bag or wrapped in plastic wrap.  Delicious the day after smeared with butter! This bread can be frozen for up to one month. Yield 2 loaves.

 



6 comments:

  1. Agreed! This recipe is my favorite banana bread recipe as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! My daughter has an egg allergy, so excited to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this could be made with butter (salted or unsalted?) ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it with butter before. I would use softened unsalted butter or if you want to use salted, reduce the amount of salt listed in the recipe to 1/4 or 1/2 tsp. Good luck!

      Delete
  4. I followed the recipe but mine was so dry and not all the four would mix in. I added about another 1/2 cup of buttermilk just to get all the flour incorporated. There was no "pouring" this batter. It was the consistency of thick cookie dough. I baked it any way. It still has a decent flavor. It's really dense though and looks nothing like yours. Any ideas on the problem? Isn't 6 cups of flour too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... let's see Vanessa. The batter will be dry before you add the buttermilk and it's not going to be "pourable". My first guess would be to add more mashed bananas. The amount I have listed is probably the bare minimum. I have noted to add more if desired, but I think I am going to change that because I always use more than 2 cups. Try adding 1/2 cup or so more of the mashed bananas. As for the flour, it might be an climate thing. I've always lived in places that are high altitude and so that amount was needed. Try cutting back the flour by the 1/2 cup. The overall finished loaf I wouldn't consider to be moist, but it shouldn't be dense or dry. I also think it tastes best the next day with smeared with butter. If you decide to try it again, try it with those changes and see what difference it makes. Thanks for you comment!

      Delete