Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chicken Salad (No Mayo- Allergy Friendly!)

I have a friend whose husband has candida allergies and cannot have anything with sugar, vinegar or yeast in it or that has been fortified, (there might be more, i don't know) but it has been interesting to hear how she cooks to cater to his diet.  She made a chicken salad for lunch for us one day and I am in love with it!  As if my sons's food allergies weren't enough, I have actually been eating less wheat and corn during this allergy season per my ENT's suggestion to see if it helps with my allergy symptoms.  At first it was really difficult for me to think of things to eat, especially lunch.  I've always just had a sandwich for lunch.

My friend served this chicken salad with corn chips.  Since I am avoiding corn, i actually found some rice crackers for pretty cheap (about $2/ box at Walmart) that work just great for eating this.  Feel free to adjust the quantities to suit your taste. I never really follow a "recipe" when I make this.

This is so versatile because you can change up the flavors for variety. (I have added bacon in mine before!)  The thing I like about this salad is there is no mayonnaise in it too!  Pretty much all condiments are out in our house.  It comes together really quick and is perfect for lunch.



Egg Free Chicken Salad
Recipe from: Egg Free Bakery and my friend Lisa
View Printable Recipe Here

1 can canned chicken, drained and rinsed (or shredded rotisserie chicken or cooked chicken breast meat)
1 avocado
1-2 mini bell peppers, any color (I like using both red and yellow for the color.)
1 green onion, chopped, optional
Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Pepper, optional

Slice avocado and scoop out flesh into a bowl.  Mash.  Add chicken, peppers and onions and mix together.  Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil to give it some 'wetness'.  Sprinkle with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, if desired, to taste and mix well.  Serve with rice crackers, corn chips or you could even roll it up in a tortilla or eat it on a high quality sandwich bun. 

3 comments:

  1. I could easily sub in chickpeas for the chicken to make it veg :) I'd like to invite you to link it up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party that is going on right now! :) Hope you can join us!
    Cindy
    http://vegetarianmamma.com/glutenfreefridays-recipe-party-6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the invite! I was just over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! We had some fabulous entries this week! Our gluten free blogger directory is growing too! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      Delete